Well the day dawned bright and early but I took some time to get going, as all I had planned was to load the quilt top up and quilt it on the longarm in a simple allover design.
I didn’t time how long this took, as that is taken care of in the quilting charge I had quoted.
I was supplying the backing and batting so I cut off what was needed and made my way upstairs and loaded the quilt. I chose a tan backing, and while loading, chose a light green thread for the top and beige for the bobbin.
It would have been fun to do this one custom, but it wasn’t in the budget. I compromised by figuring out how to do a nice design at our lower rate. Allover large leaves went quickly when they are done BIG.
I put on a Christmas playlist and it went very quickly. I was done the quilting part by lunch, including trimming off the extra. You can see by the time I got to the bottom it’s still pretty much square.
After lunch, I squared up the quilt and cut strips for binding out of the extra brown-ish fabric I added. I followed my own steps to add machine binding. This part I did time, and it took 1 hour and 15 mins. I either underestimated time for this part or for construction (likely both) because even without making it bigger, binding would have set me over time.
No big deal – just means I make less per hour.
Here’s a pile of the leftover trimming and unused fabric.
The top is all finished, quilted and bound and looks great. Now all I have to do is call the customer and arrange for pickup / delivery and payment. WHEW.